Home / Information / How Do I...? / Find / Swimming Pool Requirements

How do I...?

share with:

Swimming Pool Requirements

The completion of a Consolidated Construction Permit application and Grading Permit application is required prior to installation of above-ground, portable, and in-ground swimming pools.

No swimming pool will be approved for construction if it lies within 300 feet of any property line unless the property line is entirely surrounded by a substantial wire mesh or solid fence. The fence must be no less than 42 inches and no more than six feet high. The fence shall not contain vertical gaps of more than two inches and no horizontal rail or component on the outside. The desired fence must satisfy the following minimum requirements:

  1. Wood picket: 3/4 inch stock.
  2. Iron picket: 1/2 inch iron bar.
  3. Chain link: Vertical chains shall be 11 gauge minimum wire and a maximum of two inches apart.
  4. Woven or other solid fence: Strength shall be equivalent to one of the foregoing, satisfactory to the Zoning Officer.

All gates in such fence shall be secured by a lock when the owner or tenant is absent from the premises, and by an effective safety latch at all other times. A dwelling or accessory building may be used as a part of the required enclosure.

Above-ground pools (or those that lay at least 42 inches above the ground) are to be either be fenced or provided with a ladder or steps. When the swimming pool is not in use, the steps or ladder must be removed or swing up to form part of the railing and locked in place as part of the railing.

View our Online Codes for more information regarding swimming pool restrictions.

To download and complete a Consolidated Construction Permit Application, click on the links below:

Consolidated Construction Permit Application

Construction Permits are required for residential and commercial new construction, additions, alterations, repairs, demolitions, plumbing, mechanical, electrical, swimming pools, sheds, decks, patios, driveways expansions, roofing replacement, and fences. Permit applications must be completed and submitted with two (2) sets of applicable drawings and specifications. If work is new construction, or exterior to the existing structure, two (2) plot plans showing the location and dimensions of the proposed construction and all existing property features (including easements) must be submitted.

Grading Permit Application

The following activities require a grading permit: A. Modifying, disturbing, blocking, diverting or otherwise adversely affecting the natural flow of surface water within an ephemeral, intermittent or perennial stream or in a manner which impacts an adjoining parcel/property. B. Construction, erection or installation of any drainage dam or obstruction affecting the drainage of any parcel/property. C. Earth disturbance in excess of 500 square feet, cumulatively in one year; a year being 12 consecutive months from the date of the first earth disturbance or application for a grading permit. D. A fill which exceeds 10 cubic yards of material. E. Construction and/or installation of driveways and swimming pools. In addition, where an activity proposes more than 1,000 square feet of new impervious cover as part of the grading permit application, then a stormwater management plan shall be provided that complies with Upper Gwynedd Township Code Chapter 162, Stormwater Management.





Subscribe to News Alerts

Subscribe to email News to have the latest news, events and alerts delivered directly to your inbox.

Create Account

No thank you I already subscribe